Anyone else start singing/dancing to Usher’s Confessions Part II when reading the title to this post? You wouldn’t be alone if you did, just so you know!
But here they are internet…my confessions.
Of the booknerd sort. Sorry TMZ.
1. I have yet to watch a book trailer (Wait, I just lied, I’ve watched the two that have been posted on my blog). More accurate would be I’ve never felt compelled to watch them. It’s not that I hate them, more so it only takes an intriguing description or trusted recommendation for me to want to pick it up.
2. There’s some “classics” I refuse to read or I have endured them and hate them. My friend, Brooke, reminded me of this with a book known as Wuthering Heights. Are there some good quotes? A few. But y’all…de.press.ing (fans of this book, let’s still be friends k?). Another one? Kafka. Please tell me how a person turning into a cockroach is revolutionary in literature. I’m all ears.
I shall stop now, lest you think I really don’t like books.
3. I have a hard time adding star ratings to books. If I don’t really like a book, I feel like a horrible person. I know it’s ridiculous because there’s no way I’ll connect with every book, but I can’t help but think of how much work the person put into it. Unless it’s Moby Dick or one of the aforementioned classics, then I have no qualms about ripping that a new one ;). But seriously, when amazon makes you pick stars… PEOPLE TOO MUCH PRESSURE. I know a 4 Star, even 3 is still good, but man never thought picking stars would be so hard.
I know it’s simply my personality. In college, I was the Sports Editor for our newspaper my senior year and I had a weekly column called Lap’s Low Down (go ahead and be amazed at the decisions of my youth). I loved the position, but I found it impossible to be “mean.” Like when one of our teams lost to the last place team in the league, I couldn’t bring myself to write a column about it (which would have been easy to get a laugh out of it). All bets off when it comes to professional teams though. Don’t mess with my boys in purple and gold (Lakers) or my Who Dat boys! Bring it on Seattle.
4. This has been mentioned before, but I’m going to toss it in again. I want to punch Movie Tie-in Book Covers in the wrists. I don’t know what it is, maybe I see them as posers. Kinda like Little Debbie’s Cloud Cakes. Nice try, but those aren’t Twinkies.
5. I’m not a fan of novellas. They end too fast. I understand that’s the whole point, but still…
6. This has nothing to do with reading (well kinda) but I’ve had about four sips of coffee in my life and all were horrible. So when I’m reading, I prefer my tea.
7. I prefer covers that don’t have models on them, more specifically when you can see their faces. You may have already guessed this from this previous blog, but I thought I would discuss this one a bit more. You see, I love art. If someone wanted to pay me to get a Master’s Degree I would get two ;). Finish my one in History and add an Art History one. The depth of emotion a beautiful piece of art can invoke (Impressionism is one such style) is one reason I love it so much. So when a cover has these artistic elements, to me, it reveals the heart of the novel. I love when I can get the vibe of the novel with a simple glance at the cover.
Plus, I always develop my own ideas of how a character looks, so give me mysterious over anything else. I also admit I’m a font snob. There, I said it.
I feel like a rebel writing this confession, since the genre I read the most (Christian fiction) uses models more than any other genre I read. Which on a side note, I’m really curious why. Any publishers out there want to chime in? Is it to separate genres? I’m genuinely curious. (My friend Rel has a fabulous discussion about this by the way. Check it out here!)
Here’s a few quick ones I love:
Will covers with models stop me from reading my favorite authors? NEVER! 😉 But I do have to admit I find myself being hesitant on occasion with authors I don’t know. Sorry y’all – who knew I was on such a book cover mission!
Alright, now that I’ve shared, I want to hear from you! Do any of these vibe with you? Or maybe you totally disagree! This is a safe place, I want to hear! What confessions would you add?