I’m came across Bryan Allain through the blog world a couple years back and have been following him ever since. He’s funny and real, so when the opportunity presented itself to get an advanced copy of his newest e-book (out today!), I jumped at the chance. Allain’s Community Wins: 21 Thoughts on Building a Thriving Online Tribe is a great resource for those looking to develop a more meaningful online community.
I liked that it had action points, but also didn’t promise the 10 steps to fame (especially since there is no magical formula). After finishing the book, I feel I am equipped with a better understanding of developing community, have a few steps to try and plenty of inspiration to staying true to my passion and connecting beyond a superficial way. Thus building real and meaningful community that is not only awesome to have, but will help me achieve my dream too.
Allain uses specific and personal examples to back up his point. I especially liked the example of being the leader you want to be. If you want a positive environment, create that. If for some reason you want to create a creepy environment, by all means, be creepy and creepy shall follow.
This book isn’t overwhelming (because no one wants to waste time on a dissertation or thesis) and worth the time to read. It can get overwhelming trying to build something up so it’s nice to have encouraging reminders to keep at it.
I’ll end with a few of my favorite quotes:
- If you display leadership qualities that people respect, they will follow your lead as you build the community you’ve always wanted to have. Envision what you want it to become and lead them in that direction.
- Would you be willing to be passionately accepted by 90% of everyone if it meant being passionately rejected by the other 10%? See rejection as a necessary evil. Don’t dwell on it. Don’t fret about it. Don’t quit because of it.
- Be smart, be bold, and stay positive.
- A great reminder that growing isn’t only defined as quantity, but growing also can be defined as deepening with people who already follow you.
- There is one ingredient you’ve got to have, however, that will end up being the difference between those who fizzle out trying to implement these things and those who achieve the thriving tribe they’ve always wanted to have. It’s love.
Also it’s free right now on the kindle!!